border design top border design top

Different

Discussion Forum

back to all forums

Join or Log in to post about this Theorem

Surround spoilers with **

On September 3, 2022 at 3:23AM EST BenjaminDoesMath wrote:

This puzzle took years off of our lives, but I still loved it.


I got stuck because I misunderstood what to do with the different pictures. I did not realize they were opposites. I actually thought that they had to be shuffled. For example, the e-reader is not a number like the 3 piece suit, 4 leaf clover and 6 pack. However, there was a section of things starting with letters. So clearly the ereader was supposed to fit with the Tshirt, Qtip, and Xray. I thought the race picture was a 5k and was supposed to match with the numbers. So then it looked like a shift 4! Should I start by reading what the different thing matches with? 5K with numbers so it's 5. Sunset or date something something. Sheet music and windmill something. Then e-reader matches the category of words that start with letters. The plane fits with the rhyming caregory (train rain chain plane). So I must be looking for a word with FIVE letters, starts with E, rhymes with PLANE.

On May 10, 2022 at 1:04PM EST Toad wrote:

I have all of the differences, but I have no idea how to combine them into a phrase. If I could get any help, that would be great.

On May 10, 2022 at 12:38AM EST BigBrain wrote:

my question is how you can make this all into a phrase when you are done?

On February 2, 2022 at 7:22AM EST TheJhonny wrote:

I think this theorem should have been called opposites. I couldn't get it until reading all the hints and reading the forum. Thanks to the previous posts who didn't completely give it a way.


I really did like this one. I was able to figure out most of the different pictures besides group 6. That wasn't clicking for me.


I do think there were too many combinations of words to check. Some pictures might have more than 1 word.


I'm pissed I needed the hints and more help. It took me over a day to give in and look at the hints.

On February 1, 2022 at 7:03PM EST ThinkingWhileNapping wrote:

Too many interpretations of what is different. M's perception differs from mine. Some were a stretch. But it is M's challenge.


The challenge is that there wasn't a consistent theme to determine what is different in the groupings. There are a number of differences that could be found. But not having the right interpretation means, not solving the puzzle.


Isn't that part of this "game"? The code originator sets the rules for their coded message. It's up to us to figure out the deciphering methodology. Even with obscure clues.


Continuing to build skills to deduct different type of keys or starting points.

On January 20, 2022 at 1:58PM EST EMC2 responded to Hdapdub:

Someone else had the same issue below, too. Guess hint 2 is confusing. I don't think it's saying those are the "different" ones. It's just helping you identify some of the hard-to-identify images.

On January 20, 2022 at 1:37PM EST Hdapdub wrote:

The hints do not match up with the solution in the back of the book. The hint said in the first group, the top right pic (lose weight) was the oddball, but it’s not. It’s the winning picture. So that threw me off the correct solution.

On January 20, 2022 at 1:37PM EST Hdapdub wrote:

The hints do not match up with the solution in the back of the book. The hint said in the first group, the top right pic (lose weight) was the oddball, but it’s not. It’s the winning picture. So that threw me off the correct solution.

On January 18, 2022 at 12:22PM EST SinneratLarge wrote:

I get the clues, but I don't understand how to turn this into a phrase

On January 8, 2022 at 6:28PM EST hotshelbs wrote:

Really liked the concept of this puzzle--however, there were too many ways to interpret each image. For example, in box #2 we interpreted workout, strike out, night out for the first three, and for sure thought that outhouse was the odd one out (because of the placement of the word "out").

Overall, fun idea but too tricky.

On January 2, 2022 at 5:17PM EST Player2 wrote:

My issue was that I would get the correct different image in the wrong way. For Group 5, for instance I interpreted it as numbers - 3 piece suit, 4 leaf clover, 6 pack - to get the correct odd one out, but my reasoning for why it was wrong didn't fit any kind of solution I could see.

On December 28, 2021 at 3:17PM EST MarTeeny responded to Cuzleroy:

Yes, I would agree with this.

On December 27, 2021 at 1:18PM EST Cuzleroy wrote:

I found the toughest part to be how they relate to each other, but after writing out the specific solutions that I could make sense of the overall solution became clear. I disagree that this is about personal interpretations. It’s just that the different images are not all different in the same way. More specifically, the articulation Of the differences is not all the same.

On December 27, 2021 at 1:18PM EST Cuzleroy wrote:

I found the toughest part to be how they relate to each other, but after writing out the specific solutions that I could make sense of the overall solution became clear. I disagree that this is about personal interpretations. It’s just that the different images are not all different in the same way. More specifically, the articulation Of the differences is not all the same.

On November 20, 2021 at 7:35PM EST budoka wrote:

My first interpretations:

1. "Missing" is the odd one out because it looks like the winners ribbon in the footrace is slack, indicating having been broken already by someone just ahead of the visible runner. I guess he's got his arms up in a victory gesture because he is stoked to be taking second.

2. "Strike" is out because the others are compound words: push-up, sunset, outhouse.

3. "A sharp" isn't always written with a hyphen while the others are, so it is out.

4. I was with him on this one, "Mill" doesn't rhyme with the others.

5. I thought "clover" was out because watch, kindle, and muscle are all words that are both nouns and verbs.

6. I agreed here also that "neon" is "on" and not "off" .


Of course, these conclusions resulted in gibberish as far as a final solution phrase, so I knew I had to re-think some of them.

On October 6, 2021 at 7:36PM EST MarTeeny wrote:

This was a frustrating and disappointing one. Too much room for interpreting the images different ways and then the translation of each into the phrase was inconsistent from image set to image set. (i.e. the first one you take “won” - descriptive word of what is different - whereas for the 3rd set, you have to look at what is different (vowels) but then take the specific vowel for the image that is different (“a”)).

On August 1, 2021 at 8:42PM EST Scott1257 wrote:

Well, I can say that based on Hint #2, his ideas and my ideas of things that don't match, don't match.

On July 13, 2021 at 8:43PM EST Dre responded to Melds:

Think of other variations of those chosen words, e.g. another form of “win”, or a shorter version of “windmill”

On January 3, 2021 at 1:53AM EST Melds wrote:

This just doesn't make sense to me.


1 lose; so win

2 words with out; so love

3 letter-word pair; a-sharp is only vowel

4 all rhyme but windmill

5 suit/shamrock/sculpture start with S, so book/reader/ebook/kindle

6 no idea: coffee, sign, plane, office. Coffee is liquid?


Then I'm not sure how they go together. Something like "win love sharp windmill book coffee"? Maybe "wlswbc" shifted? Or position of cell ↙️↗️↖️↙️↙️↖️?

On July 13, 2021 at 8:40PM EST Dre responded to Ichabod:

Doesn’t matter how he interpreted them! You should be able to interpret them the same way, it just might take time getting past your own presuppositions.

On January 8, 2021 at 5:45PM EST Ichabod wrote:

This Theorem relies far too much on M's personal interpretation. Not much fun for the rest of us, I'm afraid.

On January 8, 2021 at 5:45PM EST Ichabod wrote:

This Theorem relies far too much on M's personal interpretation. Not much fun for the rest of us, I'm afraid.

On January 5, 2021 at 2:56AM EST counterhash responded to Melds:

Try only using the part of the phrase that is different. 1. Lost vs. Won. 2. Everything else contains out, but one of them is “in love”. Since the main difference here is the word “in”, just use that and throw away the rest. Then after you put it all together, you should be able to read out a phrase.

On January 3, 2021 at 1:53AM EST Melds wrote:

This just doesn't make sense to me.


1 lose; so win

2 words with out; so love

3 letter-word pair; a-sharp is only vowel

4 all rhyme but windmill

5 suit/shamrock/sculpture start with S, so book/reader/ebook/kindle

6 no idea: coffee, sign, plane, office. Coffee is liquid?


Then I'm not sure how they go together. Something like "win love sharp windmill book coffee"? Maybe "wlswbc" shifted? Or position of cell ↙️↗️↖️↙️↙️↖️?

On January 3, 2021 at 1:53AM EST Melds wrote:

This just doesn't make sense to me.


1 lose; so win

2 words with out; so love

3 letter-word pair; a-sharp is only vowel

4 all rhyme but windmill

5 suit/shamrock/sculpture start with S, so book/reader/ebook/kindle

6 no idea: coffee, sign, plane, office. Coffee is liquid?


Then I'm not sure how they go together. Something like "win love sharp windmill book coffee"? Maybe "wlswbc" shifted? Or position of cell ↙️↗️↖️↙️↙️↖️?

border design bottom border design bottom

Stay in the Know